Tuesday, January 9

Zero week

It's hard to believe the marathon is five days away, almost four. It's so cold. It will likely be cold on Sunday at the start.

And lately I've been running at night, mostly on treadmills. This means my schedule is off from what I'd like it to be. This means I'm hitting snooze on the alarm clock far more than I would like.

I wish I had more confidence right now. The forecast for Sunday (race day) is a low of 36 and a high of 56. How will I dress for that? Wear a throw away shirt?

I looked at my training log. I had a decent amount of mileage before this race, practically the same as before the marathon in June.

But right now I just feel restless. A two and a half hour drive to the airport. A two and a half hour flight. Hopefully a four-hour race. Then rest, then sightsee. The fly and drive back.

I've done this once before. No need to be nervous, right?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The forecast sounds about what it was like when I ran Vegas. For that race, I started with sweatpants and a long-sleeve dri-fit shirt, along with gloves and a headband.
The headband came off by mile 2, the gloves at about mile 7. I was starting to get too warm around mile 20, but I didn't want to stop and take off the sweatpants, and I didn't have a short-sleeve shirt on underneath the long-sleeve shirt, so I just kept them on. At a few points I did look a bit silly when I tried cooling off by pulling my shirt up to my armpits. But I wasn't so interested in fashion at that point anyway; I was just happy that I didn't overheat too badly in the last few miles.
Oh, and I got a PR.

On the other hand, a lot of other runners around me were stopping to take off their sweatpants or sweatshirts throughout the race. If that's the route you go, I suggest going to Goodwill and getting a $3 pair that you won't mind leaving along the side of the road halfway through the race.

Another thought: apart from the temperature, the climate in AZ may be quite a bit different (much less humid?) that you're used to. I think the change from OC to Vegas didn't bother me, but it's probably worht thinking about. If you can do a short run there before the race, you may get a better feel for what you need to do to adapt to the difference.

Good luck and Godspeed!

January 11, 2007 12:28 pm  
Blogger bl said...

thanks. i'll definitely do a test run of about two miles.

January 11, 2007 3:23 pm  
Blogger bl said...

I don't have any dri-fit long-sleeve tops but maybe i'll look for one at the expo.

January 11, 2007 3:23 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home