Monday, January 1

Run for the Ranch half-marathon

Well, I didn't have any champagne last night. Didn't go to any big parties, although I did seem to have one invitation. (But that's another story.)

At 3 p.m. I started out on the Run for the Ranch half-marathon. It was supposed to be part of one last 20-mile run.

A race in December that starts at 3 means one thing - it's going to get colder as the race goes on. Typically this shouldn't be a big thing. However, a little mishap happened during the race. My shoes kept coming untied. (This blog definitely isn't intended to make me look good.) So I stopped and tied them. Then they came untied about six steps later. So I took my gloves off and retied them. This happened so much during the race I can't even remember how many times I stopped to tie my shoes. However, once I took my gloves off, I couldn't get them back on. And this meant that my hands started to freeze. With about two miles left in the race my shoes came untied and I decided I'd just keep running. A couple of people told me that my shoes were untied. I thanked them for their concern and just kept going.

So, I was about five minutes off getting a pr. All in all, it wasn't that bad. It was cold and rainy and windy, but not really that miserable. I had fun and it's always nice to run when there's lots of other people. I saw some cool t-shirts that I can't really remember right now.

OH, one said "In my mind I'm Kenyan." Another said, "Go" on the front and on the back it said three things: "... before the Lord, ... the distance ... to your limits" or something like that.

Yeah, I had a good time. I didn't however go the full 20 miles. But hey, the taper starts now. If I'm not trained enough, I'm not trained enough.

One resolution for 2007 is to work more on speed and intense focused training, than working on distance. But the new year really starts the day after the marathon. The marathon caps off the year, but it also gets a marathon for 2007 too, which is kind of cool if I want a streak. A marathon a year. So, we'll see how it goes.

Another resolution though is probably learning how to double know my shoes.

2 Comments:

Blogger R said...

Yeah, they make little clips to keep your shoes tied, too. I thought those were dumb until my shoes kept coming untied during the Las Vegas marathon and it was too cold for my fingers to function properly enough to retie them well. And once I calculated something like 45 seconds for each shoe-tying and looked at how many minutes I was off of matching my first marathon time, it started to look like having a way to make sure your shoes weren't coming untied could really be valuable...

January 01, 2007 7:51 pm  
Blogger bl said...

Here's an update from the race results --- the wind was blowing at 20 miles per hour.

And so what if I didn't get a PR. It was a good run all things considered.

January 01, 2007 9:10 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home