Saturday, October 14

Options

Sometimes running can be discouraging. Other people are faster. Improvements come slowly. It's simple - all you need is good shoes and decent clothes. But it's hard. Especially if you want to get faster.

That's why I try to read stories about other runners. I try to do things to prime the motivational pump. Here's one where the headline alone was good: Staying still is not an option.

It's about one of South Africa's top runners, Elana Meyer. The last line summed the whole running situation up nicely as well:


The running scene in South Africa, once was bubbling with talent, seems to have dried up and Meyer feels it’s because people are not patient anymore. "Nowadays kids have too many options. Nobody wants to work that hard and athlete’s life is hard work. The world lives for instant gratification," she said, shaking her head.


Reminds me of my friend and training partner Cherie's favorite Bible verse: Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I imagine lots of runners can relate to those words from Hebrews.

During my very first race of any appreciable length--the OC Half Marathon in December, 2003--I recited that vers pretty much non-stop for the last 6 miles. I had thought of it occasionally during my training, but that was the first time that I really felt like I needed it to get me through a run.

October 14, 2006 6:16 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home