Monday, October 2

Ali-Liston revisited; tale of the tape

Dedicated blog readers will remember this November post when I wrote about how even though i was losing weight, I still weighed more than Sonny Liston in his first famous fight against Cassius Clay, who would soon change his name to Muhammad Ali. And for the record I'm just as tall as Ali or maybe an inch taller.

I just found this historic newspaper article from the New York Times that includes the weights - Liston at 220, Ali was 215. According to my scale, the last time I weighed myself, I was at 195.

I'm not sure exactly what to make of this, especially because as I shift into more focused marathon training, I will try to eat more and more to make sure I'm getting enough calories and protein. However, as the miles go up, I'll also need more and more calories. What a cycle.

Anyhow, here's a great quote that I was searching for that led me to the New York Times article: "I know where I'm going and I know the truth and I don't have to be what you want me to be. I'm free to be what I want."

With my job lately, putting my opinions out in public, I think of that quote a lot lately. It's like I would say to all my critics. I'm happy with what I'm doing. I don't have to be what you want me to be. Of course, it's always entertaining when someone labels you liberal/conservative because of one thing you write or say. I think I'd settle more for unpredictable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home