Thursday, August 10

Ali Bumaye

In addition to running, one of the things I did while at Camp Marafiki was brush up on my Swahili and my Arabic.

I also asked the runners about one of my favorite African words - bumaye. It's part of the familiar phrase, "Ali Bumaye."

It translates to "Ali Kill him" and it was made famous in the historic boxing match, the Rumble in the Jungle in Zaire.

In case anybody ever asks you, bumaye is not Swahili. It's from the language that people speek in Zaire. Sorry, I'm not sure what that language is called.

2 Comments:

Blogger Vajra said...

The official language of Zaire is French. There are many local dialects and languages including Swahili, Tshiluba, Kikongom Lingala.

August 13, 2006 4:20 pm  
Blogger Vajra said...

BTW, I've put in 5 hours of walking this last week and walked almost 2 hours today.

Hakuna Matata!

August 13, 2006 4:25 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home