Sunday, August 6

The good pain

So before this past week at camp, I'd heard of "tempo runs." However, I'd never heard them described quite like the Kenyans described them.

A tempo run is a fairly short run at an intense pace. How intense? So intense that it replicates the pain you feel when running a race and thus your body adjusts to that feeling. And thus the tempo run is short so you don't overtax yourself. And so this must be the good pain.

Perhaps the reason I didn't feel any pain during the marathon is that I didn't feel any pain in my training. Next time will be different. I will train harder.

I'll remember this quote from legendary Kenyan runner Julius Korir: "There are no races in Europe as hard as the tempo races we do here."

1 Comments:

Blogger Cherie Kail said...

Brian, here is a workout I did today that made me "feel the burn":

1.5 mile jog to warm up
4 repeats of 800 m @ 2:30 pace
rest thirty seconds between
3 repeats of 400 meters fast as
possible
1.5 mile cool-down run (not jog)
15 high knee reps per leg
30 back ham reps per leg
20 reps. of fast leg kicks(front)
20 reps. of lunges
40 sit-ups (the core is vital!)
STRETCH!!! and swim a bit to cool
Let me just say it'll leave your cruciate ligaments and patellar tendons tingling. It'll be a little harder to walk tomorrow and that longer training run should wait til Sunday, but you'll notice a change in how you pick up your feet and speed!

August 08, 2006 7:53 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home