Saturday, July 15

Making fun of skinny people

It's becoming very clear to me that losing weight is not socially acceptable. Running is also not very socially acceptable, but in a different way.

People who are overweight may (or may not) want to lose weight, but one thing I'm finding is they sure love to make subtle barbs at people who are (or appear to be) skinny.

In the last week or so, a waitress asked if I'd been sick before saying oh, that's right you've been running a lot.
A city official said I'd just been wilting away to nothing. She observed that before I started running and losing weight - that's about 30 pounds ago for those keeping track - she thought I was real skinny and didn't need to lose weight.
A co-worked the next day said I was wasting away and clearly needed to eat more.

Meanwhile, I think that if I lose around 10 pounds I'd probably run better and faster.

Sure I'm sure fat people hear worse. Fat jokes. Cruel things. But it just feels like (and maybe my feelings are wrong) but it feels like it's equally if not moreso socially acceptable to poke fun at skinny people. And it also seems that no woman really ever wants to go out with a skinny guy but that they're always looking for huge bodybuilders or just huge people in general.

People might say they want to lose weight and be skinny or reach their ideal weight. But I doubt they mean it. Most people enjoy the taste of trans-fatty acids and twinkies and high fructose corn syrup. I like health foods and exercise and getting real sweaty.

I am more and more convinced that most people don't want to lose weight and they don't think it's particularly healthy. I know some people are naturally larger and gain weight easily. But still I'm becoming a wee bit bitter and I think most people just don't care to be disciplined and try to find a way to lose weight.

Heck, I didn't even start running to lose weight. I just couldn't stand so physically out of shape and I fell in love with the idea of running a marathon. And I got in much better shape and I finished the race. And I discovered a newfound joy in running.

Who cares if I'm not the average football star from your video?

4 Comments:

Blogger Angela said...

Man, that just stinks. Just keep in mind that you are doing this for yourself. People are just idiots. I have people who were dieting hard with whatever is popular and then, when I decided to cut my top bun and eat a burger with my lettuce leaf on top and bottom half of bun (which I like, believe it or not), they acted really snide. It's like, that's soo yesterday kind of attitude. And then there are the skinny people - the ones the size of my arm - that constantly say they need to lose weight. Again, people are idiots. Do it for yourself. And keep going! Don't lose so much that you are unhealthy, just do it until your body says, "Enough."

July 16, 2006 8:38 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi ochobl.

I'm a biochemist working in a nutrition unit and I've been running for about 6 months. I am reasonably healthy but am 25 lbs over my pre-PhD weight (4 years ago) and I want to get back to my healthy starting weight. In response to your comments:

"I am more and more convinced that most people don't want to lose weight and they don't think it's particularly healthy.... I think most people just don't care to be disciplined and try to find a way to lose weight."

I wanted you to know that even people like me who are fully educated about what they take in and DO have will power to avoid high fat or high energy foods can have difficulty loosing weight. In the 6 months that I have been running and maintaining a low-cal high-fibre diet, I have lost the grand total of 3 pounds. And I don't think I'm the only one who genuinely tries and genuinely struggles.

I have been reading your blog for a couple of months on and off, so I know that you do not mean to offend. But I would suggest that those people making anti-skinny comments are one of two groups: those who are your friends and make comments meaning to be half complimentary for your determination with running, half concerned that you are too thin OR those who are lacking in self-confidence or in the will-power that you have demonstrated. I know that the second group is the difficulty, but spare a thought for the hard time that they are having. Does it really hurt your feelings when they say you are thin? I'd guess that it doesn't hurt you as much as it hurts them to see themselves as overweight and useless. It doesn't justify it, but it should make you feel sorry for them rather than upset with them.

Then there are people like me. But at least we take solice in thinking that we will one day get control of our bodies - if only a bit slower.

July 20, 2006 8:34 am  
Blogger bl said...

I keep thinking that nothing should bother me. But it does bother me when people call me skinny. Especially every single day.

Running, however, is helping me focus on the present moment and not get caught up in the past.

And perhaps part of the reason I lost weight is that I didn't try to lose weight. I just tried to achieve a goal of finishing a marathon.

But you raise some good points about being more understanding of other people. I will try to be less irritable.

July 20, 2006 5:04 pm  
Blogger Cherie Kail said...

Having been down this road in my few young years, I can hopefully provide a soundboard for you. It is rotten that people aren't thin, they don't work hard, they pile on the takeout, no one cooks any more. I fought with Anorexia and Bulimia once upon a few years ago because of these ideas. They controlled me and so did my fear of being overweight. If you've seen me, you know that at 121 pounds, that is not anywhere near likely! But it's an insane mental game. It's likened to chess or Risk. You have GOT to be a strategist. The only way to reverse the battle of the bulge is to LIVE as an inspiration. Inspire coworkers. Let them join you, even if just for a mile a week. Get excited. Spread the good news and the great feelings that spring forth. Once they figure out that not only does it look good, but FEELS GREAT to be active, the issue turns from weight and shape to a personal vendetta against portruding flesh, a doctrine of healthful vigor. The food, health food, is the most fabulous part. Who knew that broccoli could taste so good and provide all the natural elements? I don't pop any pills except tums occasionally to avoid lactic acid buildup. I get all the nutrients from real food. Broccoli (Vitamin C, A, E, K), carrots (Vitamin A, Beta-carotene), Peaches(CNa, ALA, Vitamin C), Blueberries(Vitamin E, K), fish (omegas), rice (niacin, riboflavin), babaganoush and hummus, whole wheat tortillas, oatmeal, paella (only the greatest dish in the world!) But I enjoy these things because I enjoy the flavor that comes from spicing up life with plenty of activity. I realize that it takes the right energy sources to remain so functionally adept! We have GOT to get further into this issue. I study this for a living, and can dish up some valid material. I'd like to make it my life's mission to be a Missionary of Health and spreading the good news of Spiritual healing coupled with healthful living.....it's a much bigger picture than exercise, rest and good food!

July 31, 2006 6:52 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home