Tuesday, July 11

Guts

I just finished reading Pre: America's Greatest Running Legend. It was a decent biography of Steve Prefontaine, a legendary runner who died too young. Definitely inspirational.

One part, for instance, showed how Prefontaine didn't run races so much to win, but to see "who had the most guts." Yesterday at the Y, I was going for 30 minutes on my favorite cross-training contraption, the rowing machine. And I was trying to get as good a workout as possible from it. So in the last 10 minutes, as I was rowing, I kept repeating to myself, "Guts. Guts. Guts."

The book also started off with a really cool poem by Jack London. I'll share it with you:

I would rather be ashes than dust.
I would rather that spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stilled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.
The proper function of man is to live, not exist.
I shall not waste my days trying to prolong them.
I shall use my time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home