Wednesday, June 7

Supergreat but I'll get better

I'd like to go running today. But I won't. My knees have been talking to me this morning and they're saying wait. So I will. I'd like to run to Michigan before I leave. Two days are left for that. So I'm not going to push it by trying to run too soon.

So I sit here relaxing. Resting. Reflecting on the race that was run.

The best thing about it was the battle with negative thinking. On the drive up here I listened to audiobooks by Zig Ziglar and Norman Vincent Peale. They really helped me get my mind in gear.

Zig was best. I remember he said that positive thinking won't enable you to do anything. You can't jump off the house and fly just because you think you can. (Positive thinking isn't LSD.) But positive thinking will allow you to do everything (and he paused) better than negative thinking will.

The other thing I really liked was when he talked about how people answer the question, "How are you doing?" Get an index card, he said. On one side write, "Outstanding, but I'm improving." On the other side write, "Supergreat, but I'll get better."

I used those phrases during the race. Especially near the end when I passed a couple of people who looked like they could use a short motivational speech. I explained how I was feeling and said that the root was the Zig Ziglar cd.

Now, how are you doing?

1 Comments:

Blogger bl said...

I am still feverishly googling marathon recovery.

I didn't think about it quite so much before the race because I just wanted to finish and I was unsure of that. Next time I'll know better.

June 07, 2006 8:47 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home