Friday, March 3

My hometowns

Well, the plans are to go back to Little Rock today. Originally I asked to take a day of vacation today. That was before my boss left. I've been working ahead and hopefully I'll be able to hit the road around noon today. That would set me up for a leisurely drive back to Arkansas.

Before I graduated from high school, I'd lived in four different cities: Virginia Beach, Virginia, where I was born; Little Rock where I lived from kindergarten until the end of third grade; Talladega, Alabama, where I lived from fourth grade to tenth grade; and South Bend, Indiana, where my family still lives. All that moving was tough, but at that age there's nothing you can do. Just say goodbye to your friends and start over. This was back before e-mail and so I don't even have any friends I stay in touch with from high school or any place that I've lived. I just don't have any of those connections.

Anyway, I've got tentative plans to go back to three of these cities where I'd lived and run in races:
The Little Rock Half-Marathon this weekend.
The Sunburst Marathon in South Bend in June.
The Rock'n'Roll Half Marathon in Virginia Beach, Virginia in September.

I've registered for the first two already and am still trying to figure out details for the third. I don't know if there's a race in Talladega and if there is, (well, I know there's a big auto race in Talladega) but it just doesn't capture my imagination in the same way the others do.

I don't ever want to dwell in the past and I don't want to look too much into the future.
Running is always one step at a time. You've got to enjoy what you're doing. However, there's also looking ahead to the future. Achieving your goals. The satisfaction of finishing.

Lately I've been real stressed. I hope this running vacation in Arkansas is a good time. It almost feels like the timing is horribly wrong, but I guess that's just one of those things. Life is never perfect. How's that saying go? Do the best you can with what you've got.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home