Saturday, February 25

Be kind

Here's something to tuck away in your "why you do what you do" file.

Most people who I've talked to extensively have heard me discuss my favorite book store, Eighth Day.

Heck, they're partially responsible for the name of this blog. And how many other stores have a section reserved for the Athletes of Prayer ?

This morning, I flipped open an old book and found an old Eighth Day bookmark. All the bookmarks come with quotes from the early church fathers. On this one, a quote from Philo of Alexandria:

"Be Kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."

Now this quote is ostensibly about other people. But it's also about you because you are someone else's other person.

And so, you are fighting a great battle. This can be a shocker, especially for those who aren't training for a marathon or quitting their job to woo a dream. Maybe the quote has to do with spiritual warfare. But I think it's less esoteric than that. Shouldn't we have something bigger to do with our lives than debating what's really happening on Lost and voting multiple times on American Idol.

I mean, isn't there something you should be doing? What are you fighting for? And shouldn't that struggle be fun?

3 Comments:

Blogger R said...

I don't know about Lost or American Idol, but I saw the great "Asian-American Idol" play at a poetry slam last night. What am I doing?

I'm fighting cancer. Not mine (at least, not yet), but fighting nonetheless.

https://www.revlonrunwalk.com/la/secure/mywebpage.cfm?pID=280042

February 25, 2006 5:27 pm  
Blogger bl said...

That is a great battle. I will contribute.

February 25, 2006 7:33 pm  
Blogger R said...

Awesome! I already sealed up a card to mail to you, and it has a letter about the run included with it, so do what you will with that.

February 25, 2006 7:37 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home