Wednesday, March 1

Ash Wednesday

Again today I got out of bed later than I wanted to. The alarm was set for 5, but I didn't actually roll out of bed until about a little after 6. My original plan was to go for a quick four mile run around 5:30 and then head over to the 7 a.m. church service.
Now I had a dilemma. Run or go to church? I chose to run. I learned recently that Ash Wednesday is not a holy day of obligation, although it is a day of fasting and obedience. So, running seemed to be a higher priority. (And maybe I'll go to church at lunch.)
Today's run was tough. It seemed like I was taking a fairly easy pace, the weather was nice and warm but I was close to being exhausted fairly early on. I realized part of the problem may have been what I had for dinner last night - popcorn at the Moxie.
I have got to pay more attention to what and when I eat.
My legs are pretty tired right now so I'm going to take a couple of days off.
Especially since I'm doing this race on Sunday.

8 Comments:

Blogger R said...

popcorn is a great dinner... but not if you're running the next day.

March 01, 2006 4:41 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

how seriously do i need to consider my diet once i start training for a marathon? i imagine my body will tell me when i've eaten something i shouldn't have. ... any web sites you can direct me to re diet/marathon training?

March 02, 2006 10:03 am  
Blogger bl said...

Here's an interesting link .

I'm not sure how helpful that is. I was doing a google search ont his book I got from the library recently: "Eat smart, Play Hard" by Liz Applegate.

She's also the author of Powerfoods.

Here's a link to books she wrote over at Amazon.com

March 02, 2006 11:00 pm  
Blogger bl said...

Of course, since Rebecca's already run two marathons, she might be able to answer the question better. Since my training kicks into another gear after this race this weekend, I'd be interested to hear what she has to say also.

March 02, 2006 11:10 pm  
Blogger bl said...

I just noticed my link for books by Liz Applegate is screwy. Sorry about that.

But google her name. I think her book is really good but I can't seem to tell if she has her own nutrition website or not.

March 02, 2006 11:12 pm  
Blogger R said...

i think generally you'll want to up your carbs a little the night before the long run, and also avoid alcohol the day before, but i don't think i significantly changed the kinds of food i ate. i just ate more of them.

kyler's stomach is really sensitive, though, so he's all kinds of careful about what he eats the day before.

March 03, 2006 10:15 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well my question was more about diet throughout my training, not just race day or the day before ...
thanks guys!

March 03, 2006 2:45 pm  
Blogger bl said...

The way I see it, Rebecca's view is that you shouldn't worry too much about what you eat during training for the most part.

And you do want to treat the long runs during training like a mini-race so you can get your game face on so to speak and prepare well the night/day before.

March 04, 2006 7:52 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home