Sunday, January 15

Remember the Glory Road Titans

I hate crying at the movies.

Tonight I saw Glory Road. It was like watching a movie about my dreams, my broken dreams that did not come true.

I remember the summers, going out in the backyard and shooting basketball shots all day. A coach said that the great players took 200 shots every day. I tried to take 400. On the driveway. Off the driveway. Behind the baseline. Left-handed. Eyes-closed.

Yeah. But the movie wasn't about me. It was about Texas Western, a school in El Paso, a cosmopolitan town in west Texas. Now that's an oxymoron if there ever was one.

But the other thing about Glory Road. It was essentially Remember the Titans on a basketball court. Here's your assignment: watch those two movies back to back and compare the coaches.

In one movie, the coach is black. In the other, the coach is white. They've both got to deal with the problem and issue of race and they both wind up doing it in vastly different ways.

Maybe in a future post, I'll write about the way that made more sense to me. Here's a hint though - football and basketball are both team games, but football is definitely more of a team game than basketball is.

1 Comments:

Blogger R said...

wow. that was a sad post. I haven't seen either of those movies...

January 16, 2006 12:24 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home