Wednesday, March 12

Amusing Anteater Ironman Anecdote

Today was my first day of actual "triathloning". At the gym, I swam just about half a mile in just over 30 minutes, biked 10 miles in just over 30 minutes, and ran 5.125 miles in just over 40 minutes. This last part was harder than I expected, but then again, I had already worked out for an hour prior to starting my run.

The hilarious part came once I got home are calculated my total distances covered in each sport. I didn't realize that I previously had run precisely 21.0 miles. Today's effort, of course, put my total at 26.125 miles--396 feet short of the required distance. As soon as I figured that out, I put my shoes back on and headed out for what is likely to be the shortest "run" that I will ever record. Going to the end of the block and back took all of a minute and a half, and according to my Garmin was 0.16 miles. I didn't actually need to run the roundtrip to finish the distance, but it was cold (25 degrees or so), and I hadn't bothered with a coat. What was more worrisome than the cold, however, was the random pedestrian on the sidewalk across the street--I didn't want him to actually see me run just one block and then go back inside. He might somehow get the impression that I was just crazy.
Oh, wait...

With my running goal accomplished, I now need to focus on the other two sports. I have 30 miles left to bike and about 1.5 miles left to swim. And the deadline is Friday. I'd like to finish by then, though since I'm not officially participating, it only really matters inside my head.

3 Comments:

Blogger R said...

I could log your miles at the ARC and ask for the t-shirt, since I'm not going to be getting one.

Stupid ears.

March 13, 2008 3:53 pm  
Blogger KWK said...

Sounds good to me. A half hour of swimming tomorrow, plus my regular bike commute, should be enough to put me over the top.

March 13, 2008 8:26 pm  
Blogger bl said...

of course, if it only really matters inside your head, perhaps you are crazy ....

:)

March 15, 2008 10:50 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home