Monday, December 3

Race trivia

So, I was flipping through Runner's World and saw their marathon guide. For some reason, one race caught my imagination, simply by its name and location.
I looked at the race website and then looked at marathonguide.com.
The first comment posted about the race intrigued me.

I loved this race. It was much better than my first marathon and I PR'd by over 30 minutes. It's true that there was snow at the start, wind the whole time, and hail at mile 23 but the course was scenic and starkly beautiful and staffed by incredible people. Everyone was very friendly, the rest stops were well-stocked, and spectators/race personnel went out of their way to help the runners when needed.

Out-of-staters should be aware that this is not a low altitude race (6,000 feet near the start and ending just under 5,000 feet) and that the weather can vary greatly...


So here's my trivia challenge. Can you name that race?

3 Comments:

Blogger KWK said...

Hmmm...maybe a couple of guesses, but I'm really not sure:
the Midnight Sun Marathon sounds like has a catchy name and is a promising possibility climate-wise, but I think the course is pretty much at sea level. The weather sounds like it could match the Pike's Peak Marathon also, but the elevation for that Marathon is off in the other direction. Lake Tahoe also could get snow & hail, but I don't think the elevation varies that much, as the course stays pretty close to the lake itself.

On the other hand, "starkly beautiful" makes me think of the High Desert, or maybe someplace more remote like...Antarctica? The elevation *could* be right, if the course is inland at all. That's also one where you wouldn't have much of a crowd, so race personnel would likely double as spectators. But then the "out-of-staters" comment makes no sense at all.

Nope, you got me. Which race is it?

December 05, 2007 12:01 am  
Blogger bl said...

Well, you're pretty smart. Or is logical the word?

You've practically got it except for a lack of familiarity with the marathons in the high desert.

You can click on that link or keep guessing now that you've narrowed it down.

December 05, 2007 11:45 am  
Blogger R said...

hmm... I remember driving through that area when I was moving to California. Perhaps it subtly moved me toward my current hobby...

December 05, 2007 1:36 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home