Sunday, October 21

A New World Record! (or not)

Flat courses and cool temperatures make for good races. According to the map tracker for the Columbus Marathon, my pace during the race was 3 minutes 48 seconds. Eat your heart out, Pre!

Except you'll notice that there's no time for the 20 mile split. Rosie Ruiz I'm not. It's just that I ran the half-marathon, but with the two finish lines being the same, the tracker got a bit confused. For a more accurate assessment of my performance, you can check out the official race results.

In case the link is giving you trouble, what with all the people checking the website, I'm happy to report that I have a new half-marathon PR. By quite a bit, actually.

I was worried that my times had reached a plateau, but if they keep dropping, I may even be able to qualify for Boston.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger bl said...

congrats on your pr.

October 21, 2007 8:26 pm  
Blogger bl said...

But why is there a difference between the 13.1 mile split and the finish time?

That's a bit intriguing.

October 21, 2007 10:29 pm  
Blogger R said...

Congratulations, baby!

October 21, 2007 11:25 pm  
Blogger KWK said...

The marathoners ran a slightly different route that went farther south before doubling back towards the half course. When the routes joined back up, the marathoners were slightly more than a mile ahead of the half runners. So the "13.1 split" for the marathon was about when I was at mile 12.2. It's a little hard to explain; the best way to see what I mean is just to look at the Full and Half courses side by side.

There was something a bit disconcerting about doing the course this way. The courses split at about mile 4.5, and rejoined at mile 6 (for half runners), or mile 7 (for full runners). That meant at mile 6 I was suddenly overtaken by a group of people running quite a bit faster than me. My first instinct whenever I get passed is to try to speed up a bit, which could have been disastrous. Fortunately, I realized relatively quickly that those passing me were from the group of people who had just run 7 miles to my 6, so of course they were faster.

October 22, 2007 10:37 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home