Tuesday, May 22

Things that make you go hmmm or

the poetic feet post with comments about actual poetic feet

Just a quick thought - Is Poetic Meter the way they measure poetic rhythm and timing in the metric system and Poetic Feet refers to the way we do it in the United States?

I wish I could give my readers more concrete info about poetic feet and what they actually are.

Run easy. Run smooth. That's what I say. Sometimes the best slam poems come to me when I'm running, but then once I've showered and cooled down I can't quite remember them.

Isn't that always the way?

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Jim Evans said...

A poem utilizes aesthetic qualities of language to evoke feelings.

The poetic feet in classical meter are Disyllables, Trisyllables , and Tetrasyllables.

A foot is the basic rhythmic unit rather than words. A foot can consist of multiple words and a single word can contain many feet. To scan for feet, one should focus on the stream of sound alone and set aside the actual meaning of the words.

Running is rhythm and feeling and focuses on a flow of energy rather than meaning.

May 22, 2007 9:13 pm  
Blogger bl said...

Running is rhythm and feeling and focuses on a flow of energy rather than meaning.

The thing about a poetry slam though is that without energy the meaning doesn't matter.

But I suppose that's also the thing about all poetry. The meter is a way of focusing the energy so that the meaning can resonate better than if the poem doesn't have a sound structure.

To carry the metaphor further, it's as if a training plan doesn't have structure. Then there's no foundation from which to run well. Similarly if a poem doesn't have some form of internal structure, rhythm and meter, then it might fall apart under its own weight.

But what do I know. I'm just pulling thoughts out of thin air here.

May 22, 2007 9:37 pm  
Blogger R said...

look up scansion somewhere...

May 24, 2007 12:50 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home