Monday, April 9

Thinking about Boston and Jesus

My friend Mark qualifying for next year's Boston Marathon has reminded me of one of the funniest stories I've linked to since starting this blog. Way back before I'd run my first marathon, I found this story from a Boston College newspaper about Jesus announcing that he would run Boston.

It's still one of the funniest things I've read in a long time. Here's an excerpt:


Though experts believe this will be the first marathon the 6-3, 180 pound Nazarene has run, few question his readiness. The King of the Jews completed arduous long distance training during his many trips through the Mediterranean region, using miracles and spreading the Word as a cover for what has now been exposed as 2006 years of marathon training.

"He's ready for this. I've never seen him so motivated for something since that time when he tried to walk on water, and we all know how well that turned out," said Peter, former apostle and the Holy One's current training partner.....

Some also fear that Emmanuel may attempt to sabotage other runners by turning the roadside coolers of water into wine, but their fears have been assuaged due to the fact that Jesus has never done a mean thing. Ever.


Though I think biblical scholars might dispute whether Jesus was actually 6-3 and 180 pounds. That's practically my height and 25 or so pounds lighter.

This year's marathon is a week from today.

1 Comments:

Blogger R said...

The other thing is, my pastor pointed out to me that in the story of Zaccheus, the sentence where we learn he's short is chock full of pronouns referring to both Zaccheus and Jesus. Evidently some people claim you can read it that Jesus, not Zaccheus, was the short one (either way, Z had to climb a tree to see him).

Which kind of goes with the verse in the OT about him being not physically attractive.

April 11, 2007 1:30 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home