Tuesday, April 3

On a mission

One great thing about air travel is the chance to read. While flying to Newark, N.J. I finished a book called First Marathons. One of the people telling their stories was Bill Rodgers, a four-time winner of both the New York City and Boston Marathons.

The final paragraph of his story really stood out to me. I'll type it in here to share it with you:

Anyone who runs a marathon is on a mission, whether it is to win or to finish. It's a hard race and I respect anyone who runs it. It is a neat achievement, very satisfying. The medal, the T-shirt, the tropy will stay with you always. Every runner is an athlete. It's a great thrill, a way to turn your life around. Use it to achieve something positive in your life, like quitting smoking. Whatever it takes, it is worth it. It will be with you the rest of your life.


Well, I don't know that I needed to turn my life around by running, but maybe I did. Maybe I did. Maybe I needed to know I could accomplish something big. I don't know. Right now I'm thinking of pouring myself into trying to qualify for Boston. I think that would be fun and doable.

But regardless, this really resonated with me. Being on a mission, focused on a goal. Too many people aren't and it's sad. And it has changed the way I view myself somewhat.

I'm a marathoner, you know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home