Saturday, May 6

Completing the list

So I set out to make a list of 26.2 reasons I want to run the marathon on June 3 in South Bend. My goal is to finish and I don't have any specific time goals in mind.

Anyhow, I can wrap up this list right now.

Reason No. 25: My favorite running book that I've read in the past year is UltraMarathon Man by Dean Karnazes. And my absolute favorite part of the book is when he talks about his workout.

"Beyond running 80-120 miles per week, along with mountain biking, surfing and wind-surfing regularly, my routine consists of 200 push-ups, 50 pull-ups and 400 sit-ups - twice a day. Sure I'm ripped, but not for the sake of vanity...."

I feel the same way, even though I'm not ripped by any stretch of the imagination. Not yet at least. But just going to the gym to "get huge" seems a bit pointless to me. Of course, maybe that's partially because the way my body is built, people rarely notice if I gain a few pounds.

Reason No. 26: Perhaps, I feel a wee bit of pleasure in going further than other people think is necessary. But heck, most people don't want to run even 100 yards, even people who can.
It's also been interesting to talk to all the people who can't run because of surgeries. That reminds me that I'm truly lucky to have the chance to chase this dream.

Reason No. 26.2 Only one percent of the population ever runs a marathon. I want to be in that number. One percent. One percent. I can feel a mantra coming. One percent. One percent.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home