Friday, February 17

Express yourself - part two

I've been thinking a lot lately about some other lyrics from that song, "Express Yourself."

Specifically these:

It’s not what you look like, when you’re doin´ what you’re doin´.
It’s what you’re doin´ when you’re doin´ what you look like you’re doin´!

Express Yourself!
Express Yourself!

The song is simply about dancing. But it reminds me of a wonderful story I once heard when I was talking with African musician Samite Mulondo.

Samite told me that when children are young and they hear music, they automatically start dancing. Yet as they get older, they impulse fades and fades. Finally they are so grown than they have to be really drunk before they start dancing. He was coming to town to perform at Bethel College and at the end of his performance, everyone would be dancing and there wouldn't be any alcohol to be seen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home