Saturday, November 11

Tough run at the nature center

Today I went out to the nature center. It's got two of the longest hills I know about and the "long trail" is about two miles. My plan initially was to do five loops. A tough, tough workout and I almost completed it.

My cell phone rang in the middle of the last lap and I had to take the call. More about that later, possibly.

Anyhow, it's great that sometimes poems I wrote fall into my head now and they help me keep going.

Today it was this excerpt from this this poem:

I want to be a part of a big love,
a love supreme,
so call me the train
Coltrane, saxophonic winds blowing down the track,
coming and coming and coming in sheets of sound
and sounds, the overwhelming guttural, primal sounds
and I want to be at one with someone or somebody
but I hear a voice calling me Miles
and I know that I'm
miles and miles and miles from home
and I'm trying to get back in the black,
in the money, making sketches of Spain
with crayons and selling them
for a ticket to the seance,
to the big dance
because I'm trying to find some kind of Fame!
I want to live forever, I want to learn how to fly...

Someday I'll memorize that whole poem.

I also had a snippet of what may be a song going through my head: what I am is what I am so what am I to you.

I'm also working on a new slam poem. It will play off a question that someone asked me: Why would you want to do something like that? Something like that being of course, running a marathon. That poem is still coming together and I think it's going to be good.