Wednesday, September 6

The Drum Major Instinct

I've been thinking a lot about my growing interest in leadership. It's always been important to me.

I remember when I was a little kid, younger than five, my family went to football games at Norfolk State University. The black college marching band shows at halftime are always the highlights and way back then I wanted to be the drum major. If you don't know what I'm talking about, check out the movie Drumline .

At various times in the workplace, I'm reminded of why great leaders make everything run smoother. Unfortunately, often when you have a good leader, you take it for granted.

However, as I look back over the year, I realize it wasn't work, but my other passion that started me thinking more about leadership. It all comes back to Lou Holtz and the Sunburst Marathon that finished on the 50 yard line of Notre Dame stadium.

As part of getting mentally ready for the race, I found his book Winning Every Day. I knew it would be inspirational. Little did I realize, it was part of the genre of management/leadership books by sports coaches.

But I'm definitely glad I found it. The whole focus on reading inspirational and leadership books this year has helped me deal with what at times has been a tough year at the office.

It's just one of the many benefits of running. Getting in better shape both physically and mentally.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home