Tuesday, November 1

BL, the finger and heavenly glory

Sometimes I feel a spiritual kinship with boxers. Fighters. It's a small part of my running.

I'm not running to lose weight so much as to hopefully compete someday in a marathon. Or compete with myself. Or just go.

I don't really want to fight. But I guess I do dream of maximum efficiency of my body. Being able to go the distance.

But at the same time, not getting too caught up in the hope of standing at the end of the fight or the end of the race or the end of the run. Or at least, not so caught up in that end that I miss the joy of the journey.

As Bruce Lee said in Enter the Dragon:

It's like a finger pointing a way to the moon. Don't concentrate on the finger. Or you will miss all the heavenly glory.

2 Comments:

Blogger R said...

Well... there are some hills, you make it to the top by looking up toward your goal the whole way.

And there are some, where the only way to endure to the top is to look down at your feet the whole way, and focus on keeping your feet going, one step in front of another.

Look at the moon, and look at your finger, and concentrate on the one that will allow you to move forward.

November 03, 2005 1:00 pm  
Blogger bl said...

It's all about keeping going.

Focus on whatever gets you through and have a good time.

November 04, 2005 2:11 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home